Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Parenting Challenges

Parenting has been a challenge lately...Nathan has been exhibiting a very bad attitude in the past few months. He is always making smart remarks. I have tried to point out to him his inappropriate behavior and to take his privileges away...so far these techniques are not working...it seems that I am speaking a different language...Oh My God! I feel like my Grandmother...I think is life pay back time...She once told me "I hope you get a child that is just like you, so you understand the pain and suffering I am going through!"...He is also very competitive, so he rushes into his work at school "to finish faster than the other kids". Therefore, he is making mistakes and his teacher is getting irritated about it (yes, irritated...can you believe it?!!!) because he is not giving his best...I have talked to him but the words do not get through him...he just do not listen!!! I need parenting advice from those that have done this for many years... I am going nuts! and worst of all, I do not want my relationship with him to get ruin...

El ser Madre ha sido un reto ultimamente...Nathan ha estado demostrando una muy mala actitud durante los ultimos meses. El siempre esta haciendo comentarios inapropiados. He tratado de demostrarle su actitud inapropiada y le he quitado privilegios...pero estas tecnicas no han funcionado...parece que estoy hablando otro lenguage...Dios Mio! Me siento como mi abuela...pienso que la vida me las esta cobrando...ella una vez me dijo: "Espero que tengas un hijo(a) que sea como tu, para que entiendas el dolor y sufrimiento por el que estoy pasando"...El tambien es muy competidor entonces se apura en el trabajo escolar "para terminar primero que los otros companeros". Por lo tanto, esta cometiendo errores y su maestra se esta irritando por eso (si, irritando...pueden creerlo?!!!) porque no esta dando lo mejor de si...He hablado con el pero las palabras no pasan a traves de el...simplemente no escucha!!! Necesito recomendaciones de aquellos que han hecho esto por mucho tiempo...Me estoy volviendo loca! y lo peor es que no quiero que mi relacion con el se dane...

2 comments:

Jacki said...

One of my favorite prayers
A Parent's Prayer

Oh, God, make me a better parent.
Help me to understand my children, to listen patiently to what they have to say and to answer all their questions kindly. Keep me from interrupting them, talking back to them and
contradicting them.

Make me as courteous to them as I would have them be to me. Give me the courage to confess my sins against my children and to ask of them forgiveness, when I know that I have done them wrong.

May I not vainly hurt the feelings of my children. Forbid that I should laugh at their mistakes or resort to shame and ridicule as punishment. Let me not tempt a child to lie and steal. So guide me hour by hour that I may
demonstrate by all I say and do that honesty produces happiness.

Reduce, I pray, the meanness in me. May I cease to nag; and when I am out of sorts, help me, Oh Lord, to hold my tongue.

Blind me to the little errors of my children and help me to see the good things that they do. Give me a ready word for honest praise.

Help me to treat my children as those of their own age, but let me not exact of them the judgments and conventions of adults.

Allow me not to rob them of the opportunity to wait upon themselves, to think, to choose, and to make decisions.

Forbid that I should ever punish them for my selfish satisfaction. May I grant them all of their wishes that are reasonable and have the courage always to withhold a privilege which I know will do them harm.

Make me so fair and just, so considerate and companionable to my children that they will have a genuine esteem for me. Fit me to be loved and imitated by my children.

With all thy gifts, Oh God, do give me calm and poise and self-control.

By: Garry C. Myers, co-founder of "Highlights"
love you
Mom

Jaime Ann said...

dont worry about ruining your relationship...your love is very strong. skyler rushed through everything since 1st grade too,the key was working with the teacher on a close basis to make sure she was reading directions and double checking her test work.